Skip to main content

Tokaido Day 7 – Wednesday, 15th November: Hakone Checkpoint to Numazu (26 km)

Didn’t get back to my hotel until 7pm this evening, so tonight’s post will be short on words and consist mostly of pictures.

In brief: caught the Shinkansen back to Odawara, thence bus to Hakone Checkpoint (shadowing the route I’d walked yesterday) and picked up the trail. 

Alongside Lake Ashi is one of the prettiest stretches of the Old Tokaido so far:


Although the ‘top’ I’d reached yesterday certainly felt like a peak, there’s actually a bit more climbing beyond the lake until you reach the ‘official’ Hakone Pass, where the new road crosses (this was looking back into Kanagawa Prefecture, where I’d just come from):


And then it was downhill all the way to Mishima – a long, long way down, some of it steep and some of those sections on the dreaded ishidatami. But where the track surface was good, it was very pleasant going indeed.




In places where the road surface had been restored, it looked as it must have done when originally constructed:


Past the site of a long-vanished castle:


… and the very modern Dragon’s Castle (a massive kids’ adventure playground):


Throughout the day, I kept getting views or glimpses of Mount Fuji:


… and views down to the coast:


A group of Jizo watch over travellers:


At the outskirts of Mishima I stopped at the very beautiful Mishima-taisha Shrine:



Mishima, with its Shinkansen station, was one stopping option, but by now the OT was flat and I felt pretty good, so I pushed on into the sunset to my original destination of Numazu.


(I didn’t see the boy sitting at the bus stop until I walked past him. He was engrossed in his phone and I don’t think he even registered my existence.)

Dusk afforded a final glimpse for the day of Fujisan, sandwiched between an apartment block and a pachinko/slots (gaming) venue the size of an Australian RSL club. Perfect.


Previous day's post

Next day's post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokaido prologue

Hiroshige, Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido . No. 26: Kakegawa I visited Japan in 2017 and 2019, on the second occasion with Fred, as well as my partner (with whom I’d travelled in 2017) and her son. Like most people who come for the first (or second) time, we took the Shinkansen – bullet train – from Tokyo to Kyoto on the line called the Tokaido. Volumes have been written about the wonders of Japan’s Shinkansen system. It is, I think, something that should be experienced at least once in everyone’s life if possible. ‘Tokaido’ means ‘eastern sea road’, and the line bears that name because it follows – more or less – the route of the centuries-old road that linked the Imperial capital of Kyoto with the Shogunate’s headquarters in Edo (now Tokyo), respectively the seats of ceremonial and administrative power. For hundreds of years, thousands of travellers made the 500-kilometre trip between the two cities (and usually back again), the vast majority of them on foot: horses were rare, t

Tokaido Day 1 – Thursday, 9 November: Nihombashi to Kawasaki (22 km)

Link to GPS track Any sense of excitement at the dawn of the day that I would actually start this thing I’d been planning for so long was somewhat subsumed by the need to organise my gear and arrange for stuff I wouldn’t need for a couple of days to be sent on to the next hotel. The front desk staff at the Hotel Sunroute in Asakusa were, of course, extremely helpful and told me that the bag would arrive at the Terminal Hotel in Odawarra the next day. That still left me with a pack that was heavier than I’d been expecting – I guess about 15 kg – and it was with a slight sense of trepidation that I checked out and headed to the subway to catch the Ginza line to Nihombashi.  Nihombashi – which I think just means ‘Japan bridge’ – marks the start of the Tokaido and is traditionally the place from which all distances to Tokyo are measured. Today its historical significance is not immediately apparent, not least because of the dominating freeway overpass that crosses above. However, the city

Tokaido Day 13 – Tuesday, 21st November: Kanaya to Fukuroi (29km)

  A more overcast and humid day, but still good conditions for walking. My hotel offers a free buffet breakfast, which I couldn’t pass up, so by the time I caught the train from Hamamatsu back to Kanaya I was a little later than previous mornings. No matter.  From the station, the Old Tokaido climbed steeply, and it wasn’t long before I encountered another section of the dreaded ishidatami. Although just as steep as the section near Hakone, this was in better condition and nowhere near as long. Still, it’s not easy walking, and once again I was glad of the pole. I agree with the Temple Guy : this is much harder than Satta Pass, and I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a reputation on the walk. Once the ishidatami ends, there’s still plenty of hill to climb, and the route rises through tea plantations. On those grey poles are electric fans: I’ve read that they’re used on still, humid mornings to blow away the mist that could otherwise damage the leaves. Where the bushes are in bloom, i