Skip to main content

Tokaido Day 5 – Monday, 13 November: Rest day

If the first half of yesterday’s walk was the most interesting so far, the second half was the hardest. When I planned my route out back in Sydney, it was based around entering locations into Google Maps and looking for train stations near the Old Tokaido that were between 20 and 25 kilometres walk apart. Problem is, that seems to be consistently underestimating the actual distance walked by between four and six kilometres. Based on yesterday’s experience, there’s unfortunately just no way I can keep that pace up and I’ve having to rejig the itinerary. The unavoidable result will be that I’ll arrive in Kyoto later than originally planned and will have less time for leisurely sightseeing between the end of the walk and the flight home. Disappointing, but rather that than give up. Fortunately, all the onward hotels (bar the next one) can be cancelled without penalty.

So today, which was always scheduled to be a rest day, has been spent taking it easy and doing some laundry. I had an excellent massage (just $30 for 1 hour) and strolled around Odawara castle.


The main castle tower (pictured) and the gates that guard the entrances are modern reproductions, but there are some excellent displays showing the historical sources they’re based on. Extensive displays on the five floors of the tower dive into the castle’s history and that of the surrounding town, and its relationship with the Tokaido. About a quarter of the displays have English signage.

The view from the top is worth the climb:


Today has been bright and clear, and the forecast for tomorrow is similar. I’m heading up into the hills via Hakone, so fingers are crossed for some views of Mount Fuji. That notwithstanding, I’m nervous about the day ahead. This is the first point where the Old Tokaido veers away from the main transport corridor, so although I’ll never be far from a road, transport options will be limited until I reach the tourist spot of Hakone Checkpoint, 18 km from Odawara and a 900 m climb. The plan is to get up early, send my big bag on to the next hotel at Shizuoka and take my time.

Previous day's post

Next day's post

Comments

  1. Good luck John and all the best. Big day ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tokaido prologue

Hiroshige, Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido . No. 26: Kakegawa I visited Japan in 2017 and 2019, on the second occasion with Fred, as well as my partner (with whom I’d travelled in 2017) and her son. Like most people who come for the first (or second) time, we took the Shinkansen – bullet train – from Tokyo to Kyoto on the line called the Tokaido. Volumes have been written about the wonders of Japan’s Shinkansen system. It is, I think, something that should be experienced at least once in everyone’s life if possible. ‘Tokaido’ means ‘eastern sea road’, and the line bears that name because it follows – more or less – the route of the centuries-old road that linked the Imperial capital of Kyoto with the Shogunate’s headquarters in Edo (now Tokyo), respectively the seats of ceremonial and administrative power. For hundreds of years, thousands of travellers made the 500-kilometre trip between the two cities (and usually back again), the vast majority of them on foot: horses were rare, t

Tokaido Day 1 – Thursday, 9 November: Nihombashi to Kawasaki (22 km)

Link to GPS track Any sense of excitement at the dawn of the day that I would actually start this thing I’d been planning for so long was somewhat subsumed by the need to organise my gear and arrange for stuff I wouldn’t need for a couple of days to be sent on to the next hotel. The front desk staff at the Hotel Sunroute in Asakusa were, of course, extremely helpful and told me that the bag would arrive at the Terminal Hotel in Odawarra the next day. That still left me with a pack that was heavier than I’d been expecting – I guess about 15 kg – and it was with a slight sense of trepidation that I checked out and headed to the subway to catch the Ginza line to Nihombashi.  Nihombashi – which I think just means ‘Japan bridge’ – marks the start of the Tokaido and is traditionally the place from which all distances to Tokyo are measured. Today its historical significance is not immediately apparent, not least because of the dominating freeway overpass that crosses above. However, the city

Tokaido Day 13 – Tuesday, 21st November: Kanaya to Fukuroi (29km)

  A more overcast and humid day, but still good conditions for walking. My hotel offers a free buffet breakfast, which I couldn’t pass up, so by the time I caught the train from Hamamatsu back to Kanaya I was a little later than previous mornings. No matter.  From the station, the Old Tokaido climbed steeply, and it wasn’t long before I encountered another section of the dreaded ishidatami. Although just as steep as the section near Hakone, this was in better condition and nowhere near as long. Still, it’s not easy walking, and once again I was glad of the pole. I agree with the Temple Guy : this is much harder than Satta Pass, and I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a reputation on the walk. Once the ishidatami ends, there’s still plenty of hill to climb, and the route rises through tea plantations. On those grey poles are electric fans: I’ve read that they’re used on still, humid mornings to blow away the mist that could otherwise damage the leaves. Where the bushes are in bloom, i