Skip to main content

Tokaido Day 4 – Sunday, 12 November: Hiratsuka to Odawara (26 km)

 


The first half of today’s walk was the most pleasant and interesting yet. Although it followed busy Route 1 most of the way, traffic was a little lighter, perhaps by virtue of being Sunday. The weather was a copy of the previous day’s, although perhaps a degree or two cooler. Certainly the low clouds ruled out any possibility of seeing Mt Fuji.

On the outskirts of Hiratsuka, roller doors beneath what appears to be an emergency warning tower depict one of the most famous of Hiroshige’s 53 Station of the Todkaido


Other walkers whose accounts I’d read had attempted to capture the same scene, and I felt obliged to make my own contribution to the genre:


As others point out, Hiroshige clearly took liberties with the shape of the hill. On the side of the road opposite, where the Old Tokaido rejoins Route 1 just before crossing a river, a mini ichirizuka has been created.


Over the river and into the town of Oiso, the manhole covers change to reflect the area’s coastline. With a long beach and easy accessibility from Tokyo, this is a popular summer destination. No one was like to be frolicking in that waves today, however.


It was at this point that one of the promises I’d made to myself went out the window. Passing a McDonald’s and being in need of a quick stop, I justified my decision with the rationale that a) there would be a toilet inside and b) I hadn’t had much breakfast and was entitled to a top-up. Falling back on the ‘point at a picture and say please’ method of ordering, I ended up with a burger that was distinctly Japanese, having what tasted like a soy-based sauce rather than ketchup. Not too bad, but I won’t make a habit of it. The other reliable source of facilities for needy travellers are the ubiquitous konbini (convenience stores), which all seems to have restrooms whose use can be justified by the purchase of a snack for a couple of hundred yen.

Near Maccas, the new Route 1 veered left away from the Old Tokaido. Note the line of pine trees along the old road on the right of the shot.


Actually the Old Tokaido was much more pleasant along this stretch than this shot suggests. Once past the ugly and apparently defunct gallery in the centre of the shot, it turned into a quiet, tree-lined road with houses on both sides set back from the road and plenty of references to its history.



What I think this boils down to is that a woman used to sit at the well to do her make-up, and so the became known as the Kesho (make-up) Well.

Other signboards point out the locations of ichirizuka and show the Hiroshige print relating to the area.


All too soon back on Route 1, a hobby shop window had Godzilla looming over exquisitely detailed model railways displays.


And a little further on from that, a tiny church was squeezed between two apartment buildings. Someone was vacuuming inside – presumably tidying up after a service, this being Sunday – or I would have gone in.


 

And just beyond that I came across Shigitatsuan, which is described as a hermitage, but perhaps would be described in the West as a cultural centre for the study and appreciation of haiku above all, but other forms of traditional poetry and tea ceremonies as well.


A modest entrance fee grants admission to a small but deliciously peaceful garden filled with small buildings and shrine, statues, and gravestones of previous owners engraved with haiku. Here’s a haiku translated in the brochure I picked up at the entrance: “Spring mist covers the cherry blossom like our heart.” Another, more seasonally appropriate: “A single leaf fell in an autumn evening.”

A sign in front of a stone pillar describes it as Basho Haiku Monument. As I’m reading Basho’s Narrow Road to the Deep North, very generously given to me by Barbara before leaving Sydney, I particularly enjoyed finding this one.





Further on, a little shrine with multiple torii gates, many of which I had to duck under.


At another fork in the road, Oisojoyama Park offers a chance to wander through the grounds, away from the traffic for a while. I climbed to the top of a steep hill for views over the gardens and down to the coast – a scenic but unnecessary addition to the day’s trek that I regretted later.



On a rotunda near the top, two young women in what I assume were anime-inspired costumes were posing for photographs taken by a very professional-looking cameraman.

Following the fork of the Old Tokaido led past a cemetery, where statues of Buddha (I assume) had been decorated with very jolly little beanies. If anyone knows the significance of this, please let me know in the comments.


Soon enough, though, I rejoined Route 1, passing another interesting little shrine.


By 5 o’clock it was pretty dark and I still had quite a long way to go. I was starting to get hungry, so rather than wait until reaching Odawara I decided to check out any restaurants I came across. For some reason I had a craving for carbonara, and lo and behold not a kilometre or two further on I spotted Macaroni Market, a barn-like place that sold pasta-related goods at the front and had a restaurant at the back. Scanning the menu, I recognised the katakana for carbonara (karubonara) and ordered from the very friendly waitress, who told me she was learning English. I apologiesed for my lack of Japanese and showed her my intro. She asked if I was part of a walking club, and seemed astonished when I explained I was doing the walk on my own. I asked her name and she said I should call her Misha. As I paid the bill and left she said it had been very nice to meet me and told me to take care. The carbonara wouldn’t win any prized (I mean, who goes to Japan to eat Italian food?), but I felt like a had met my new goal of having at least one brief conversation a day with someone I meet and explaining what I’m up to. No photo of Misha, as she was working and I didn’t want to put her into an awkward position if that had been inappropriate.

On the outskirts of Odawarra, I also fulfilled the day’s other obligation, passing a particularly beautiful shrine and pausing to pay my respects – being very careful to wash beforehand.


The photo doesn’t really do it justice.

And so into the back streets of Odawara and back to the Terminal Hotel. By now my legs had found all sorts of new and interesting ways of hurting, and I very much regretted the climb to the top of Oisojoyama Park earlier in the day. It was nearly 7 o’clock by the time I got back to my room, and I was exhausted. I was in bed soon after 8.

Previous day's post

Next day's post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokaido prologue

Hiroshige, Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido . No. 26: Kakegawa I visited Japan in 2017 and 2019, on the second occasion with Fred, as well as my partner (with whom I’d travelled in 2017) and her son. Like most people who come for the first (or second) time, we took the Shinkansen – bullet train – from Tokyo to Kyoto on the line called the Tokaido. Volumes have been written about the wonders of Japan’s Shinkansen system. It is, I think, something that should be experienced at least once in everyone’s life if possible. ‘Tokaido’ means ‘eastern sea road’, and the line bears that name because it follows – more or less – the route of the centuries-old road that linked the Imperial capital of Kyoto with the Shogunate’s headquarters in Edo (now Tokyo), respectively the seats of ceremonial and administrative power. For hundreds of years, thousands of travellers made the 500-kilometre trip between the two cities (and usually back again), the vast majority of them on foot: horses were rare, t

Tokaido Day 1 – Thursday, 9 November: Nihombashi to Kawasaki (22 km)

Link to GPS track Any sense of excitement at the dawn of the day that I would actually start this thing I’d been planning for so long was somewhat subsumed by the need to organise my gear and arrange for stuff I wouldn’t need for a couple of days to be sent on to the next hotel. The front desk staff at the Hotel Sunroute in Asakusa were, of course, extremely helpful and told me that the bag would arrive at the Terminal Hotel in Odawarra the next day. That still left me with a pack that was heavier than I’d been expecting – I guess about 15 kg – and it was with a slight sense of trepidation that I checked out and headed to the subway to catch the Ginza line to Nihombashi.  Nihombashi – which I think just means ‘Japan bridge’ – marks the start of the Tokaido and is traditionally the place from which all distances to Tokyo are measured. Today its historical significance is not immediately apparent, not least because of the dominating freeway overpass that crosses above. However, the city

Tokaido Day 13 – Tuesday, 21st November: Kanaya to Fukuroi (29km)

  A more overcast and humid day, but still good conditions for walking. My hotel offers a free buffet breakfast, which I couldn’t pass up, so by the time I caught the train from Hamamatsu back to Kanaya I was a little later than previous mornings. No matter.  From the station, the Old Tokaido climbed steeply, and it wasn’t long before I encountered another section of the dreaded ishidatami. Although just as steep as the section near Hakone, this was in better condition and nowhere near as long. Still, it’s not easy walking, and once again I was glad of the pole. I agree with the Temple Guy : this is much harder than Satta Pass, and I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a reputation on the walk. Once the ishidatami ends, there’s still plenty of hill to climb, and the route rises through tea plantations. On those grey poles are electric fans: I’ve read that they’re used on still, humid mornings to blow away the mist that could otherwise damage the leaves. Where the bushes are in bloom, i