Skip to main content

Tokaido Day 23 – Friday, 1 December: Seki to Minakuchi–Ishibashi (31 km)

 


From two syllables to eight; from Mie prefecture to Shiga; to within striking distance of Kyoto.

More train travails after checking out of the Kaneyama hotel: partly another case of confusion over when to ‘tap off’ with the IC card, and partly because of delays on the line out of Nagoya. As a result, it was nearly 10.30 by the time I set off walking from little Seki station.

Much of the early part of the walk was alongside Route 1 as it climbed gently into the hills, although there was an occasional diversion onto the old road through villages to provide a respite from the traffic. Autumn colours are much more evident now, particularly on bright days like today.


At Sekichokutsukake, an old Western-style school building had been converted into a “Youth Nature House”, just over the road from a geodesic structure that I think was part of the same complex.


Things Japan does surprisingly badly (No.2 in a very short series): Children’s playgrounds. This spot, where I paused for a rest and to finish the mandarins very kindly given to me by Yoshiko-san back in Chiryu, is far from unusual: a scrubby patch of grass and a few poorly maintained pieces of equipment that look like they date from the 1970s. Out of shot are a couple of frames for swings that lack chains and seats.


Anyway, rested and refreshed, I continued walking. The valley narrowed…


… and at last I turned off Route 1 onto a track and began climbing towards Suzuka Pass.


There was even a short stretch of ishidatami for old time’s sake.

Under the Route 1 overpass…


… up a flight of stairs and onto a steep but beautiful forest track that before too long arrived at the crest of the pass. Although nowhere near as high or as challenging as Hakone Pass, it had been enough of an effort with a semi-heavy pack on my back to make it feel like a minor achievement. This is the last pass on the Tokaido (for those heading to Kyoto).


Just beyond the summit of the pass, overlooking the valley on the western side, is this large and roughly hewn stone lantern, presumably of purely symbolic value.


And a little beyond that is the sign marking the entrance to Shiga prefecture, not quite the last one I’ll be visiting on this trek.


In terms of scenery, there was little of note on the rest of today’s walk, much of which was on Route 1 and not particularly enjoyable. One oddity was the lack of convenience stores. I’ve become so conditioned to seeing a konbini every few kilometres (at least), that I’ve become lazy about planning for food, assuming I’ll be able to find something cheap and reasonably wholesome when I need it. Today, I don’t think I passed a single konbini between Seki and the outskirts of Koka. By the time I got to Tsuchiyama, I was desperate – and therefore ecstatic to see a simple roadside place selling takoyaki – or octopus balls.


The owner, Yoko-san, asked where I was from, and when I showed her my introduction she insisted on taking a picture of both it and me and said she would post them on Instagram. I’m going viral in Japan!


Of far more immediate interest to me was the chance to eat something hot (very, very hot) and incredibly tasty. I could have eaten another half-dozen, and probably should have.


By the time I got to Minakuchi–Ishibashi, the sun had long set and my head torch was lit front and back. I had to wait 40 minutes for a train while the temperature kept dropping, and then needed to change onto another line at Kusatsu for a second train on to Otsu and my new hotel. Unfortunately, I messed up the change at Kusatsu and got on a train leaving at the right time … but in the wrong direction. Off at the next stop, up and over to the other platform, train back to Kusatsu, wait again for (this time) the right train… 

Long and short of it is that it was nearly 9 o’clock when I checked in at the Lake Biwa Otsu Prince Hotel. I knew it would be a step up in quality from the business hotels I’ve been staying in until now, but hadn’t realised that it would be a 40-storey resort-style tower on the shore of the lake. Very fancy, I thought, as the taxi dropped me off and the concierge held the door open for me. Things only got better when the front desk told me that (for a reason that may have been communicated but I missed) they’d upgraded me to a suite. My new digs have a large bedroom, a bathroom that’s bigger than some of the bedrooms I’ve been staying in, and a large lounge area with amazing views over the lake. From the bedroom – and even from the bathroom, should you so desire – there are views over the city.


Another pleasant shock came when I looked at the map to check how far I was from Kyoto, and realised I had less than 50 km to go. Given the distances I’ve been covering and the fact that there are no big hills between Minakuchi–Ishibashi and my final destination, I should be able to cover that in two days. That would have me arriving in Kyoto on 3 December – four days ahead of schedule. I’m very happy with that.

Previous day's post

Next day's post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokaido prologue

Hiroshige, Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido . No. 26: Kakegawa I visited Japan in 2017 and 2019, on the second occasion with Fred, as well as my partner (with whom I’d travelled in 2017) and her son. Like most people who come for the first (or second) time, we took the Shinkansen – bullet train – from Tokyo to Kyoto on the line called the Tokaido. Volumes have been written about the wonders of Japan’s Shinkansen system. It is, I think, something that should be experienced at least once in everyone’s life if possible. ‘Tokaido’ means ‘eastern sea road’, and the line bears that name because it follows – more or less – the route of the centuries-old road that linked the Imperial capital of Kyoto with the Shogunate’s headquarters in Edo (now Tokyo), respectively the seats of ceremonial and administrative power. For hundreds of years, thousands of travellers made the 500-kilometre trip between the two cities (and usually back again), the vast majority of them on foot: horses were rare, t

Tokaido Day 1 – Thursday, 9 November: Nihombashi to Kawasaki (22 km)

Link to GPS track Any sense of excitement at the dawn of the day that I would actually start this thing I’d been planning for so long was somewhat subsumed by the need to organise my gear and arrange for stuff I wouldn’t need for a couple of days to be sent on to the next hotel. The front desk staff at the Hotel Sunroute in Asakusa were, of course, extremely helpful and told me that the bag would arrive at the Terminal Hotel in Odawarra the next day. That still left me with a pack that was heavier than I’d been expecting – I guess about 15 kg – and it was with a slight sense of trepidation that I checked out and headed to the subway to catch the Ginza line to Nihombashi.  Nihombashi – which I think just means ‘Japan bridge’ – marks the start of the Tokaido and is traditionally the place from which all distances to Tokyo are measured. Today its historical significance is not immediately apparent, not least because of the dominating freeway overpass that crosses above. However, the city

Tokaido Day 13 – Tuesday, 21st November: Kanaya to Fukuroi (29km)

  A more overcast and humid day, but still good conditions for walking. My hotel offers a free buffet breakfast, which I couldn’t pass up, so by the time I caught the train from Hamamatsu back to Kanaya I was a little later than previous mornings. No matter.  From the station, the Old Tokaido climbed steeply, and it wasn’t long before I encountered another section of the dreaded ishidatami. Although just as steep as the section near Hakone, this was in better condition and nowhere near as long. Still, it’s not easy walking, and once again I was glad of the pole. I agree with the Temple Guy : this is much harder than Satta Pass, and I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a reputation on the walk. Once the ishidatami ends, there’s still plenty of hill to climb, and the route rises through tea plantations. On those grey poles are electric fans: I’ve read that they’re used on still, humid mornings to blow away the mist that could otherwise damage the leaves. Where the bushes are in bloom, i