Skip to main content

Tokaido Day 9 – Friday, 17th November: Fijukawa to Okitsu (about 22 km)

 


I’ve posted a map to give some idea of the day’s route, but I completely stuffed up the GPS tracking and so don’t have a record of the actual path taken.

The day dawned grey and showery, but on the plus side my ankle was a lot less sore, so I caught the train back to Fujikawa and set off. I didn’t take many photos in the early stages of the walk, partly because there wasn’t a great deal of interest and partly because the rain steadily increased and I was too busy holding the umbrella.

From the station I climbed back onto the slope where I’d been the previous night, and at one point had to pass under the Shinkansen tracks through a low, narrow tunnel that forced me to bend double.


A bullet train roared past when I was 50 metres down the road beyond the tunnel exit; quite what the effect would have been inside the tunnel I can only imagine.

Wayfinding, which has been very inconsistent along the route so far, was today helped by the frequent use of road markings, the three kanji on these ones reading (left to right) ‘to’ (east), ‘kai’ (sea), ‘do’ (road or way). So Tokaido literally means ‘eastern sea road’.


By the time I got to Kambara I had a problem. My backpack had proved to be less waterproof than I’d hoped, and the contents ranged from damp to soaked. The local weather app suggested the rain would continue for a couple of hours, so I decided to hop on the train back to the hotel, dry out as much as possible, and then pick up where I left off when the weather improved.

In the event, I never really did get the pack and contents dry until that night, but the weather did clear up as promised and at least I had somewhere warm and dry to have lunch while waiting. Within a couple of hours I was back at Kambara and on the trail again.

Entering Yui was this fine old wooden building. I think this is an Edo-period style, named after the time when the Shoguns ruled from Edo (now Tokyo), which is generally dated to 1603–1868. (If anyone reading this knows more about Japanese architecture, please correct me.)


Just a little further on is the Shizuoka City Tokaido Hiroshige Museum of Art, housed in another lovely old building:



Unfortunately, photography was not allowed inside, but it contained a couple of very interesting exhibitions on Hiroshige and other ukiyo-e artists, including a detailed description of the woodblock print making technique. 

At the museum gift shop I bought a very handsome edition of Hiroshige’s 53 Stations of the Tokaido as a momento of my trek.


The cover shows the famous view looking east from Satta Pass, which I would be climbing shortly.

Outside the museum, a pool featured charming, lifelike statues of turtles on rocks … until one of them moved. There wasn’t anything for them to feed on, so presumably they’re supplied with food by the museum or the local community.


Near Yui station is this gate, which brought to mind Australia’s similarly kitsch Big things (Big Banana, Big Merino etc).


Wikipedia tells me that Yui is well known for cherry shrimp, a type of small shrimp found in nearby waters. There’s a strong whiff of seafood throughout the town, and many shops along the road sell the shrimp. I should have stopped to sample them, but the afternoon was drawing on and I was conscious of wanting to clear Satta Pass before dusk.

The start of the pass is marked with an abundance of signage…


… and a steep change in gradient as the old road peels away from the new:


Once upon a time this was the only way onward: here, the mountains meet the sea and cliffs plunge straight into the surf. Modern engineering has solved that problem, constructing a tangle of roads and railway at the foot of the cliffs and out over the sea.


Still, the old route is not without its compensations. This was the view back towards Mount Fuji, a fresh dusting of snow on its summit from the same weather system that had caused me such nuisance earlier in the day.


And here also I met Camille and Romain, who were snacking on some of the fallen citrus fruit from the orchards that crowd the hillside. They were from Lyon – and when I say that’s where they’re from, that’s not just where their home is: it’s where they started cycling. Eight months and an impressive list of countries later, they were just three days’ ride away from their final destination, Tokyo. No wonder they looked happy. They have a website explaining their trip, which if my French is still up to scratch involves delivering a recipe created by an illustrious Lyon chef to an equally renowned counterpart in Tokyo.


Theirs is an extraordinary achievement that puts my much more modest trek in perspective, as tough as it sometimes feels.

There’s not much more to report about the day’s walk. Unfortunately, the west side of Satta Pass was closed, so I had to follow a road down the back of the mountain and into the back streets of Okitsu. The original plan was to continue another 5 km or so to Shimizu, but having lost a couple of hours to the rain delay in the morning and knowing that the next day was a rest day, I decided to jump on the train at Okitsu station and head back to the hotel. I promised myself I’d make up the missing section the next day.

Previous day's post

Next day's post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokaido prologue

Hiroshige, Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido . No. 26: Kakegawa I visited Japan in 2017 and 2019, on the second occasion with Fred, as well as my partner (with whom I’d travelled in 2017) and her son. Like most people who come for the first (or second) time, we took the Shinkansen – bullet train – from Tokyo to Kyoto on the line called the Tokaido. Volumes have been written about the wonders of Japan’s Shinkansen system. It is, I think, something that should be experienced at least once in everyone’s life if possible. ‘Tokaido’ means ‘eastern sea road’, and the line bears that name because it follows – more or less – the route of the centuries-old road that linked the Imperial capital of Kyoto with the Shogunate’s headquarters in Edo (now Tokyo), respectively the seats of ceremonial and administrative power. For hundreds of years, thousands of travellers made the 500-kilometre trip between the two cities (and usually back again), the vast majority of them on foot: horses were rare, t

Tokaido Day 1 – Thursday, 9 November: Nihombashi to Kawasaki (22 km)

Link to GPS track Any sense of excitement at the dawn of the day that I would actually start this thing I’d been planning for so long was somewhat subsumed by the need to organise my gear and arrange for stuff I wouldn’t need for a couple of days to be sent on to the next hotel. The front desk staff at the Hotel Sunroute in Asakusa were, of course, extremely helpful and told me that the bag would arrive at the Terminal Hotel in Odawarra the next day. That still left me with a pack that was heavier than I’d been expecting – I guess about 15 kg – and it was with a slight sense of trepidation that I checked out and headed to the subway to catch the Ginza line to Nihombashi.  Nihombashi – which I think just means ‘Japan bridge’ – marks the start of the Tokaido and is traditionally the place from which all distances to Tokyo are measured. Today its historical significance is not immediately apparent, not least because of the dominating freeway overpass that crosses above. However, the city

Tokaido Day 13 – Tuesday, 21st November: Kanaya to Fukuroi (29km)

  A more overcast and humid day, but still good conditions for walking. My hotel offers a free buffet breakfast, which I couldn’t pass up, so by the time I caught the train from Hamamatsu back to Kanaya I was a little later than previous mornings. No matter.  From the station, the Old Tokaido climbed steeply, and it wasn’t long before I encountered another section of the dreaded ishidatami. Although just as steep as the section near Hakone, this was in better condition and nowhere near as long. Still, it’s not easy walking, and once again I was glad of the pole. I agree with the Temple Guy : this is much harder than Satta Pass, and I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a reputation on the walk. Once the ishidatami ends, there’s still plenty of hill to climb, and the route rises through tea plantations. On those grey poles are electric fans: I’ve read that they’re used on still, humid mornings to blow away the mist that could otherwise damage the leaves. Where the bushes are in bloom, i