Skip to main content

Tokaido Day 20 – Tuesday, 28 November: Kuwana to Utsube (26 km)


With only the slightest sense of guilt at not walking (see yesterday’s post for the explanation), I took a couple of trains across Nagoya to Kuwana. This was, once upon a time, the western end of the ferry trip from Atsuta, which I’d reached the previous evening. A sea wall has been constructed in front of the old ferry landing place, allowing a view across the Ibi River to the largely industrial landscape beyond.


Behind the sea wall, a little park preserves the site of the ferry wharf, including its guiding light.


Picking up the Tokaido route from the road just behind the torii gate, I soon passed a large shrine with a row of paper lanterns, where I paid my respects for the day.



A couple of maples in a canal-side park provided a splash of autumn colour.


Just around the corner, a shop owner was mopping the tiles at the front of her store before opening. “Good morning,” she said in English. “Where are you from?” Introductions over, I asked Yoshiko-san what her shop sold. Clams (in Australia we’d probably call them vongole) cooked in soy sauce was the answer, a local specialty, apparently. Yoshiko-san’s husband did the cooking; she did the selling. I assumed the shellfish were local, but it turned out they were from China. She offered me one to try – it was very tasty, but with the soy sauce certainly dominant.

Just past Kuwana, the Inabe River crossing is one of the many on the Tokaido where the modern bridge has been built in a slightly different spot to the original fording point. This is what the eastern side of the old crossing looks like now:


Next to Ise-Asahi train station, a huge bike park has been provided for commuters. This is just a part of it, chosen for a photograph because of (again) a colourful maple.


Still in Asahi (not sure if there’s any connection with the beer), Josembo temple was notable for the colourful flags just outside its gate…


… while just a little down the road, the gate to Saiko temple provided the setting for a dramatic burst of sunlit autumn colour against a threatening sky.


Fortunately, those clouds produced no more than an occasional very light shower, but they arrived with a change in the wind that seemed to be coming straight off the steppes of Manchuria.

Lunch today was taken in the food court of a large shopping centre. A very different setting from yesterday’s ramen shop, but another taste of ‘real’ Japan a million miles away from the tourist trail. The dish was a noodle soup “packed with vegetables” (according to Google Translate) – which consisted almost entirely of cabbage. Still, it was hearty and, hopefully, fairly healthy.

At Yokkaichi, a stretch of the Tokaido has been turned into a shotengai, a sort of old-fashioned shopping street (often covered) that I think are pretty common all over Japan. Sadly, perhaps, many of them – like this one – are struggling, losing out to the sort of mega-mall where I had lunch. Probably only about a quarter of the shops in this street seemed to be occupied.


I pressed on past Yokkaichi and was able to reach Utsube, chosen as my destination for the day partly because it’s the last stop on the delightful narrow-gauge Yokkaichi Asunarou Railway Utsube Line, from where I could get back to Nagoya and thence my hotel fairly easily. The line’s ridiculously cute little trains trundle along the single track just metres away from houses and back gardens, and over countless level crossings that are themselves often little more than paved tracks between rice fields.


Sadly, the line only runs as far as the major centre of Yokkaichi, from where I transferred to a standard commuter train into central Nagoya. I’m looking forward to making the return trip on the Yokkaichi Asunarou Railway Utsube Line when I resume walking on Thursday after tomorrow’s rest day.

Previous day's post

Next day's post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokaido prologue

Hiroshige, Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido . No. 26: Kakegawa I visited Japan in 2017 and 2019, on the second occasion with Fred, as well as my partner (with whom I’d travelled in 2017) and her son. Like most people who come for the first (or second) time, we took the Shinkansen – bullet train – from Tokyo to Kyoto on the line called the Tokaido. Volumes have been written about the wonders of Japan’s Shinkansen system. It is, I think, something that should be experienced at least once in everyone’s life if possible. ‘Tokaido’ means ‘eastern sea road’, and the line bears that name because it follows – more or less – the route of the centuries-old road that linked the Imperial capital of Kyoto with the Shogunate’s headquarters in Edo (now Tokyo), respectively the seats of ceremonial and administrative power. For hundreds of years, thousands of travellers made the 500-kilometre trip between the two cities (and usually back again), the vast majority of them on foot: horses were rare, t

Tokaido Day 1 – Thursday, 9 November: Nihombashi to Kawasaki (22 km)

Link to GPS track Any sense of excitement at the dawn of the day that I would actually start this thing I’d been planning for so long was somewhat subsumed by the need to organise my gear and arrange for stuff I wouldn’t need for a couple of days to be sent on to the next hotel. The front desk staff at the Hotel Sunroute in Asakusa were, of course, extremely helpful and told me that the bag would arrive at the Terminal Hotel in Odawarra the next day. That still left me with a pack that was heavier than I’d been expecting – I guess about 15 kg – and it was with a slight sense of trepidation that I checked out and headed to the subway to catch the Ginza line to Nihombashi.  Nihombashi – which I think just means ‘Japan bridge’ – marks the start of the Tokaido and is traditionally the place from which all distances to Tokyo are measured. Today its historical significance is not immediately apparent, not least because of the dominating freeway overpass that crosses above. However, the city

Tokaido Day 13 – Tuesday, 21st November: Kanaya to Fukuroi (29km)

  A more overcast and humid day, but still good conditions for walking. My hotel offers a free buffet breakfast, which I couldn’t pass up, so by the time I caught the train from Hamamatsu back to Kanaya I was a little later than previous mornings. No matter.  From the station, the Old Tokaido climbed steeply, and it wasn’t long before I encountered another section of the dreaded ishidatami. Although just as steep as the section near Hakone, this was in better condition and nowhere near as long. Still, it’s not easy walking, and once again I was glad of the pole. I agree with the Temple Guy : this is much harder than Satta Pass, and I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a reputation on the walk. Once the ishidatami ends, there’s still plenty of hill to climb, and the route rises through tea plantations. On those grey poles are electric fans: I’ve read that they’re used on still, humid mornings to blow away the mist that could otherwise damage the leaves. Where the bushes are in bloom, i