Skip to main content

Menzies Creek circuit (Dandenongs) (12 km) – 11.04.23

 


Back to Victoria, but this time purely for fun. Having spent a couple of days last year in the Emerald–Monbulk area for work, I'd been wanting to come back to explore the Dandenongs at my leisure. 

With Tuesday's weather looking much more promising than the next day's, I decided to try this relatively short loop walk. That length turned out to be somewhat misleading: several significant steep sections made this considerably more challenging than I'd expected.

The start of the circuit was an auspicious setting, at a picnic area among the magnificent, towering mountain ash that are such a distinctive feature of the landscape around here.

The first steep climb began immediately, heading straight up Jacksons Hill Road. It was a great way to get heart, lungs and legs pumping.


It was all worth it, though. The views descending Ridge Road were spectacular, looking east towards the high country as the fog started to clear from the valleys.



The view to the west was equally striking, although it wasn't possible to see Melbourne CBD (which I think was around to the right in this shot below).


It was slightly too early in the season to see most of the deciduous trees in their full autumn colours, but most were starting to turn and here and there a few specimens were already putting on a show:


After a while, the descent became steeper and Ridge Road became a walking track. Overnight rain had left the path slick and slippery, and the covering of wet leaf litter didn't help. It was about now – just when it would have been most useful – that I realised I'd left my walking pole in the car.

Undoubtedly, the highlight of this section was a giant eucalypt, the ground around its base domed by the detritus of (perhaps) hundreds of years of bark and leaf litter. The photographs entirely fail to give a sense of the scale of this behemoth.


Meanwhile the track continued to drop steeply, flattened out briefly, and then dropped again, and a few hundred metres of level walking along Avard Road at the bottom came as welcome relief.


This, it turned out, was the literal low point of the walk. The route turned right and plunged into temperate rainforest, climbing gently alongside a creek. Although the track was very overgrown in places, requiring much of it to be approached bent double, the beauty of the tree ferns and the occasional glimpses of the creek more than made up for it.





Along the way I startled another walker who was consulting a paper map and who asked about the way to Telopea Steps. She seemed surprised when I checked the route on my phone, as if this was a new and slightly dubious method of navigation. But it did allow me to point her in the right direction, and within a few minutes I'd reached the object of her enquiry. Telopea Steps are a long flight of relatively new wooden steps leading up to Telopea Street and back into residential streets, which after a while brought me down to the Puffing Billy railway tracks and some cute local art.



The path alongside the tracks made for very pleasant walking and, after a stop for sandwiches, a chance to watch the train itself chug sedately past on its way up to Emerald.


Of course everyone on the train waved (there seems to be a sort of unwritten law about this), and of course I waved back, half embarrassed and half enjoying the silliness of it all. As it turned out, I caught up with the train and its passengers at the next station, where the down train was also waiting at the other platform: presumably this is the crossover point where the two services are able to pass on the otherwise single-track line. Anyway, it was a treat to be able to watch both depart.

From there it was back onto the road and one last, long hill leading back to the start of the circuit. Someone had very generously left a basket of home-grown organic apples for passers-by to help themselves – so I did (watched carefully by a kelpie who can just be seen behind the fence in the photo below).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tokaido prologue

Hiroshige, Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido . No. 26: Kakegawa I visited Japan in 2017 and 2019, on the second occasion with Fred, as well as my partner (with whom I’d travelled in 2017) and her son. Like most people who come for the first (or second) time, we took the Shinkansen – bullet train – from Tokyo to Kyoto on the line called the Tokaido. Volumes have been written about the wonders of Japan’s Shinkansen system. It is, I think, something that should be experienced at least once in everyone’s life if possible. ‘Tokaido’ means ‘eastern sea road’, and the line bears that name because it follows – more or less – the route of the centuries-old road that linked the Imperial capital of Kyoto with the Shogunate’s headquarters in Edo (now Tokyo), respectively the seats of ceremonial and administrative power. For hundreds of years, thousands of travellers made the 500-kilometre trip between the two cities (and usually back again), the vast majority of them on foot: horses were rare, t

Tokaido Day 1 – Thursday, 9 November: Nihombashi to Kawasaki (22 km)

Link to GPS track Any sense of excitement at the dawn of the day that I would actually start this thing I’d been planning for so long was somewhat subsumed by the need to organise my gear and arrange for stuff I wouldn’t need for a couple of days to be sent on to the next hotel. The front desk staff at the Hotel Sunroute in Asakusa were, of course, extremely helpful and told me that the bag would arrive at the Terminal Hotel in Odawarra the next day. That still left me with a pack that was heavier than I’d been expecting – I guess about 15 kg – and it was with a slight sense of trepidation that I checked out and headed to the subway to catch the Ginza line to Nihombashi.  Nihombashi – which I think just means ‘Japan bridge’ – marks the start of the Tokaido and is traditionally the place from which all distances to Tokyo are measured. Today its historical significance is not immediately apparent, not least because of the dominating freeway overpass that crosses above. However, the city

Tokaido Day 13 – Tuesday, 21st November: Kanaya to Fukuroi (29km)

  A more overcast and humid day, but still good conditions for walking. My hotel offers a free buffet breakfast, which I couldn’t pass up, so by the time I caught the train from Hamamatsu back to Kanaya I was a little later than previous mornings. No matter.  From the station, the Old Tokaido climbed steeply, and it wasn’t long before I encountered another section of the dreaded ishidatami. Although just as steep as the section near Hakone, this was in better condition and nowhere near as long. Still, it’s not easy walking, and once again I was glad of the pole. I agree with the Temple Guy : this is much harder than Satta Pass, and I’m surprised it doesn’t have more of a reputation on the walk. Once the ishidatami ends, there’s still plenty of hill to climb, and the route rises through tea plantations. On those grey poles are electric fans: I’ve read that they’re used on still, humid mornings to blow away the mist that could otherwise damage the leaves. Where the bushes are in bloom, i